Nov 17, 2008

remembering the driving

someone has finally started driving lessons.

i remember when i finally started driving lessons. it was one of the biggest challenges i had ever faced, in terms of personal struggle. i was scared of driving. my naturally cautious nature reeled at the idea of putting my life in the hand of random road users - my experience of a car accident that was not my dad's fault in any way merely amplified that. the logic was simple: there are nuts on the road, and there's not much you can do about it.

besides, i have remarkably little faith in my hand-eye coordination.

i literally quaked with fear everytime i walked that covered passageway from the train station to the driving centre. that path has been hallowed with much prayer. my driving instructor was quite amused at the way my knees shook. it's quite difficult to maintain half-clutch when your knee is shuddering.

on April 9th this year, by the grace of God, and also by the skin of my teeth, i passed my driving test. an exact borderline passing mark, and my tester conveniently ignored an "automatic failure" infringement. the date is seared into memory.
i want to be able to point out your faults knowing that you're strong enough to take it
i still don't like driving. but it's ok now.